[LMB] favorite non-Lois SF/F books OT:

Adam K. Reuter aherring at netcarrier.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:15:51 -0500

My overall SF/F list goes (see below for authors):
1.    Mote in God's Eye
2.    Dune
3.    Hellspark
4.    Daughter of the Blood
5.    Obsidian Butterfly

My SF list goes like this:
1.    Niven and Pournell, The Mote in God's Eye
2.    Frank Herbert, Dune
3.     Janet Kagan, Hellspark
4.    Asimov, Foundation
5.    Heinlein, Starship Troopers

If I remove "The Classics" that I would expect most people on this list
to know about and/or have read my SF list becomes:
1.    Janet Kagan, Hellspark
2.    Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, Plan B
3.    David Brin, The Uplift War (this book specifically I liked better
than the others in the trilogy).
4.    Elizabeth Moon, Once a Hero
5.    Anne McCaffrey, Restoree

As far as Fantasy goes:
1.    Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels Trilogy)
2.    Laurell K. Hamilton, Obsidian Butterfly
3.    David Eddings, Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad)
4.    Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts, Daughter of the Empire
5.    George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones (tie)
5.    Elizabeth Moon, The Deed of Paksenarrion (tie)

Again removing all the really big names I come up with:
1.    Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood
2.    P.C. Hodgell, Seeker's Mask
3.    Shirley Meier, Shadow's Daughter
4.    Tanya Huff, Summon the Keeper (perhaps the funniest SF/F book I
have ever read)
5.    Keith Hartman, The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse

OK so I like to make lists and recommend books.