[LMB] favorite non-Lois SF/F books OT:

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:36:03 -0500

I'm NOT NOT NOT (clenching fists and repeating loudly to self) gonna get
into this thread cause I've got TOO MUCH IMPORTANT STUFF to do and TOO
MANY to-reads already... but...

On 25 Feb 2002, Scott Hofmann wrote:

#Frank Herbert's Dune (but I didn't like any of the sequels)

That's 'cause after he was so successful with the first one, he decided
he was too big a name to need editing. It was the editor's heavy but
delicate hand that made _Dune_ readable. (John Campbell? It was
originally serialized in _Analog_, where I first read it, as _The
Prophet of Dune_.)

#Isaac Asimov's _Robot_ series and his _Foundation_ series

Before he decided to merge those continuities.

#Anne McCaffrey's Pern books

Never could get much into the sequels.

#William Gibson's _Neuromancer_ and sequels

Oh, yeah!

#Dan Simmon's _Hyperion_

Couldn't get far in it, but I may try again.

#Steve Miller and Sharon Lee's Liaden books

See para. 1.

#JK Rowling's Harry Potter series
#JRR Tolkien
#Terry Pratchett

Yupyupyup.

#I find _Analog Science Fiction and Fact_ (http://www.analogsf.com) to be a
#great way to discover new authors. They're how I discovered Bujold, in fact!

See (my) para. 2. But I haven't read Analog in Ent's years, it seems.

-- Mark M.