[LMB] Favorite Books OT:

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:05:53 -0600

Susan Profit goes eccentric on us:
> My education warped me. Folklore and folk tales I find endlessly
> fascinating. My all-time favorite books are only fantasy or science
> fiction if you stretch the definition.
>
> The Kalevala
> The Mabnogion
> The Volsung Saga
> The Odyssey
>
> and then we get into a toss up between Evangeline, The Aeneid and
> the Divine Comedy.

I'll buy that; I've read them all except the Volsunga Saga and
Evangeline - except for the Kalevala, more than once - and,
by coincidence, in the last few days I've been contemplating
giving it another go. I remember reading synopses of it around
age 10 and falling in love with the names - Vainamoinen,
Lemminkainen... I think I'll do that (after I finish _Heart of
Darkness_, my current freetime-at-home read).
[I don't think I have a copy of the Volsunga Saga, but Evangeline is
around here somewhere...]

Jim Parish