[LMB] GRR Martin (was favorite non-Lois SF/F books OT:)

Dave Klecha dklecha at i2k.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:19:54 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Heikki Poso wrote:

> Yup, heroic epic it is not. It probably won't become one either, so you
> were quite correct in stopping reading the series after the first book.

As I wanted to say in the first post, and forgot, if I wanted to read all
that stuff, I've got shelves full of it from my history undergrad days.  I
actually took a class in how nasty and brutish life was in medieval Europe
;-)

> Whoops, I did not mean to imply that only "the people who want to read
> just feel-good books" would not like the series, but that is indeed
> a possible interpretation of my text. Sorry.

No offense taken.  Just clarifying :)

> IMO the point of the prologue is exactly to point out the big threat -- all
> the squabbles in the kingdom are beside the point and weaken it just before
> it needs to be at its strongest. I find this setting deliciously ironic,
> myself... Should you cheer for the "good guys", who are on the side of justice
> (at least some of them) or for the competent "bad guys" who have better chances
> of uniting the kingdom again, fast.

Eh. :)  IMHO, *that* could have been covered in a well-executed prologue,
a la "There was strife in the land."  But that would only have pleased me
and not, it seems, George's legions. :)  And again, it's not like I'm
hostile to backstory or introductions ... but I myself remember writing
something once where I got thousands and thousands of words deep... and
realized that what I was writing would be one thousand percent more
effective told in flashback or recounted.  Not to say that that would work
for this story, but that I'm more an afficianado of the "start in the
middle" sort of story-telling style.

In somewhat the same vein, I got a huge kick out of The Deed of
Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon because Paks spent exactly two pages
running away from home, and everything after that started the adventure.
:)

> > Anyway, my sister seemed to like them well enough, and probably for reasons
> > that don't have much to do with why I didn't like it, but there you have it.
> > :)
>
> Tastes, they do vary. :-)

And thank goodness for that, eh?

> If you thought that Martin's writing was good, you might want to give his
> _Fevre Dream_ a try. It is pretty different from Song of Ice and Fire.

I'll add it to my list.

Dave (the equal-opportunity reader)
http://www.daveman.org