[LMB] OT: Inspector Javert

Bart Kemper bkemper at bigdogz.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:38:06 -0600

PAT MATHEWS wrote:

 > Yout remember the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Well, the guy who
wrote that also
 > wrote a musical. It was called Les Miserables and it was all
about one of
 > those revolutions they kept having in France in the 19th century.

<snip plot outline>

Please telling me you're kidding, Pat.  I haven't been reading all
the digests, but this jumped out at me.  It's like saying Brahms
Stoker wrote a neat Broadway play about a vampire (when Frank
Langella was a slim dark haired chick magnet).  Les Miserables by
Victor Hugo is a novel, just as War and Peace, Moby Dick, and
Barrayar.  (well, out of the time period, but what the hell)  I'm a
big fan of good Broadway adaptations (went to TKTS almost every
weekend for years), but it still pales behind even the translated novel.

bart