[LMB] OT: Mental Health & the Yeats trial

Phyllis LeFevre plefevre at hotmail.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:17:53 -0500

>From: "PAT MATHEWS"

>What if you don't dare? Because you fear thay'll hang you with that rope
the rest of your life and you'll never again have any credibility with
them? A scornful "Just pull yourself together" is an improvement over
that! <

Pat...I can completely empathize with you on this one. I told my roommate
my symptoms (of when I'm headed for a major bout), but what do you do
when the person you tell is worse than yourself?

I made friends with one of the managers here at work, and we've become
really good, close friends. I kept holding back telling him my history of
depression....then one day he made a comment about himself (can't
remember what it was now), but I thought...well, NO GUTS NO GLORY and
just jumped in and told him. Seems he already had an idea, but since he
did not want to hurt my feelings or have me become a screamming paranoid,
HE waited until I brought it up.

I can honestly say that I am reeeeeeeeally glad it happened. It's done a
LOT for me at work, especially when I may be quite b*tchy......I go to
him, explain what's going on and ask him if it's me. He can openly and
honestly tell me yes if it is, and we sit and talk about what's bugging
me and why.

Free, honest therapy.....such a godsend. Wish it had happened about 15
years ago....when I first started having noticable problems.

Phyllis

  "..since no one is perfect, it follows that all great deeds have been
accomplished out of imperfection. Yet they were accomplished, somehow,
all the same." Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan,  Mirror Dance  by Lois
McMaster Bujold