[LMB] Re: SF/F faves (non-Bujold)

Danielle N Hart russianfox_b5 at juno.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:48:53 -0700

  Well, let's see...

  1. S.M. Stirling, Island in the Sea of Time trilogy
      How we should approach things if we're ever sent back into the
Bronze Age - don't forget to make friends with any Lithuanians you might
meet along the way.  Marion's knee-jerk response to what happens, related
later, rang a chord with every female reader.  The whole trilogy is good,
but I'm especially fond of the third book, and wonder if we'll ever hear
any more out of the Nantucketers and company...

  2. 1632, Eric Flint
      How we probably would handle things if we got tossed back in time.
Granted, they're not quite as far back, but I liked how they didn't waste
any time trying to put things in order - their order.  Mistakes have been
made, but overall, they aren't doing too bad.  And the duel scene is one
of the funniest moments in the book.

   Both books do showcase a certain theme - the people who are most
capable of doing the job are the people who devoutly do not want to be
given the job.  Conversely, the people who are incapable of doing the job
are the one who weasel the hardest to get the job.  Not that the theme is
exclusive to their works (or even to fiction), but worth mentioning.

 3. The Honor of the Queen, David Weber/Honor Among Enemies/In Enemy
Hands, David Weber
     The best 3 of the growing DW series, in my opinion.  Honor of the
Queen because it introduces the Grayson element, and does a better job of
introducing the series as a whole than On Basilisk Station, with the
exception of the McKeon/Harrington backstory, and the Pavel Young angle.
HAE, I liked because it got her back out into the RMN, the intro of the
Andermanis, and Silesia.  IEH I am a little partial to, because it was
the only one I had with me at Basic, but it's still a good one, although
the death toll in this one got a little too personal for my taste.
Although Weber is starting to go down the same road as Clancy (where are
the &%&*^%&* editors?), I'll still give him a chance until he screws up 2
books...

 4.  The New Frontier series, Peter David
      I know the ST books do not exactly have a big following among
*real* SF fans, but oh well - they're what got me into it.  And I still
genuinely love to read well-written ST, to include Diane Duane and PAD.
Even if you don't like Trek books anymore, you should at least give NF a
chance.  Let's just say it's a little different...

 5. Change of Command/Against the Odds, Elizabeth Moon
    I still say they should have been one book, but a fitting end to a
great series, with a last scene that alternately gave me shivers and made
me feel that (as in the best serieses) things would keep going on.  The
books may be over, but the universe continues on...

 6. Mageworlds, Debra Doyle/James MacDonald
     I try to explain this series as "Star Wars for Grownups" because
there are similarities, but there's a sort of innocence in Star Wars that
this galaxy doesn't quite have.  Perada Rosselin is one of the best
female SF characters yet, and I can't fault her for her taste.  :)   The
line she uses about the captain's quarters just screams to be used
sometime.  I haven't been able to get too far into the series because no
book store here in SA seems to have Starpilot's Grave (thanks for Amazon)
in store.  However, I'm willing to guess from the cover of the third book
that Beka 'officially' comes back from the dead since she is wearing the
Iron Crown on Entibor.  The Gathering Flame is the fourth book, but
seeing as it is a prequel, O recommend reading it first.

 Danielle
*** That's a little old-fashioned, wouldn't you say ?
     Maybe.  I've got a lot of old fashioned ideas about you. ***

     Joyce Davenport, Captain Francis Furillo,  "Hill Street Blues"