[LMB] favorite non-Lois SF/F books OT:

Damien R. Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:52:44 -0800

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 06:17:07PM -0500, Alexandra Haropulos wrote:

> How anybody could make a favorites list and not list...
> well, you get the picture.

If everyone lists the same five classics, we don't accomplish much.  I
note not many people mentioned Lord of the Rings.  I suspect a lot could
have in making a full list, but just assumed "duh!"  That's why I didn't
mention it.  Well, it slipped my mind at first, but after it didn't, I
figured "why bother, everyone knows that".

Lord of Light or A Night in the Lonesome October I should have
mentioned.  Especially the latter, which seems more obscure.

> > 4) Most listies are more likely to think of works that
> >     are fresher in their minds, which are most likely to
> >     be recent ones.
> Mebbe.

No, Rilly.  Memory works on "most recently accessed/most frequently
accessed".

> I don't know that there ARE any usual suspects. Has anyone
> read ALL the Hugo  novels? (I don't think I have. No loss in some

Some guy on rasfw has been working on it.

> cases. Wish I hadn't wasted the price of a cheap, greasy pizza
> on _A Fire on the Deep_.)

*splutter*

> Does anyone remember "Mack Phillips'" _The Impossibles_?
> Or Jack Wodham's Vestigial Virgins? Christopher Anvil's
> Space Patrol? Lord Darcy?

Haven't heard of any of them besides Lord Darcy, and I'm not sure I have
the right reference for that one.

> Back when engineers wrote SF, rather than menopausal English majors?

Such as Vernor Vinge -- oh wait, you don't like him -- Greg Egan, Robert
Forward, David Brin, Larry Niven, Neal Stephenson, Greg Benford, Greg
Bear (although his knowledge/writings ratio about biology is too low for
me)  Not exactly a bunch of English majors, never mind the odd comment
of 'menopausal'.

I know less about women SF writers.  Connie Willis, Rebecca Ore, Nancy
Kress?  Cherryh might have been classics or history.  Le Guin and Joan
Vinge were anthropology.

-xx- Damien X-)