[LMB] Five Favs ot:

Robert A. Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:39:17 -0800

POUNCER <altpouncer at yahoo.com> writes:
<SNIP of several hypotheses of why older titles weren't listed in an
earlier message>

>Anyhow, along all these lines, what about a
>short list of "forgotten/unlikely treasures"?
>The sort of book that we expect most listies
>would pass over, if spotted on the used book
>shelf for a dollar -- but we, individually,
>consider worth, at least, two dollars.

<snip>

>>From cat 1-c ... a book called, I think,
>_Arial_ about a boy and his unicorn
>in a magical (the science went away)
>post-apocalyptic New York are separated
>and reunited after the boy becomes
>a samuri.  Author forgotten.  Interesting,
>mostly, for the training sequences in
>which the boy tutors under the last
>surviving sensei...

Steven Boyett wrote (years ago now) a book titled _Ariel_. I never read it,
but I have a vague recollection that there was a unicorn on the cover.

>>From cat 4, I recommend a prequel of
>Drake's _With the Lightnings_ called
>_Starliner_.  Seems to be set in the
>same universe.  Star Trek meets the
>Love Boat.   As Leary in _WtL_ is
>interesting for his botanical musings,
>the characters of _Starliner_ and
>their business concerns are a-typical
>of SF.  Not a classic.  But worth a
>look.

_Starliner_ set in the _With the Lightning_ universe? If it is, it has to
be way, way back in the historical background (after complete breakdown of
interstellar civilization and travel).

Robert A. Woodward    robertaw at drizzle.com http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw