[LMB] OT: Yeats Case

Eric Oppen oppen at cnsinternet.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:00:46 -0600

> The guy, while obviously having poor judgement - umm, isn't
> anyone besides me worried that he works for NASA? - also
> stayed faithfully married to a very sick woman, and tried to get
> her help. One of the bizarre cases that shows up on the end
> of the curve. And was this perhaps just a genetically self-
> correcting problem? (I know - pine boxes again.)

Having had to deal for thirteen years with mentally-ill relatives, I can
understand this very well.  Unfortunately, here and now, the pendulum has
swung so very far that barring "running down the street with a hockey mask
and a chainsaw," to quote somebody whom I begged for help, if a mentally-ill
person doesn't _want_ help, nobody can make them take it.

Dealing, day-in and day-out, with somebody who is, shall we say,
"reality-challenged," can wear down nearly anybody.  You never know _what_
they will do next, and all too often it's something either slightly loopy or
totally deranged.  If you're the caregiving relative, then clearing up the
mess is _your_ baby.

And some people wonder why I still instinctively cringe whenever the phone
rings.