[LMB] US vs Canada OT:

Christine L. Forber christine at forber.net
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:26:45 -0500

At 01:13 AM 2/28/2002 -0600, Eric Oppen wrote:

>Okay, let me see if I've got this right.
>A "loonie" is a one-Canadian-dollar coin.
>A "twonie" is a two-Canadian-dollar coin.

Yup. The loonie came out first and was almost instantly nicknamed such, due
to the imprint of a loon on one side. When the twonie was due out, there was
a massive "debate" about what to call it. Dubloon was suggested amongst
others. Once the coin was out, twonie just seemed to stick better than any
of the others.

>So...if I were a miser a la Scrooge McDuck, but in Canada, and obsessively
>hoarded money...would that make me "looney-tunes?"
>*running to escape the thwaps that I know are coming*

I heard many such around the time that the twonie came out!

Christine