[LMB] OT: More evidence for the use of anti-psychotic drugs

TLambs1138 at cs.com TLambs1138 at cs.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:43:40 EST

In a message dated 2/26/02 6:04:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
louann_m at yahoo.com writes:

>  Kicking back to the title, 50/50 this person could be functional if on
>  anti-psychotics and taking them consistently. We aren't very good at
>  getting people to keep taking their meds who don't want to, short of
>  committing them. (See previous paragraph, also medical ethics.)

I quite agree. The state of Oregon is saving beaucoup bucks by funding my
son's medication and various other support mechanisms, rather than to house
him in Salem. And you know...the day Brian saw THE MADNESS OF KING GEORGE and
it finally dawned on him how he felt and acted sometimes looked like on the
outside--he's never argued about taking his meds. Oh, sometimes he's
accidentally skipped them (we can tell if he's missed more than two days),
but he's never seriously argued against taking them at all ever since. But
then, he's pretty high-functioning for schizophrenia (or schizophrenic
affect, or whatever--Brian doesn't really fit in any of the regular pegholes
for _anything_, though I suspect his brain would look like Swiss cheese on a
PET scan. Let us just say I did not have a good first trimester--broken nose
in a softball game, massive blood loss surgery, various drugs--ack!).

Jean Lamb, tlambs1138 at cs.com
"We're young, rich and full of sugar!"--Bart Simpson.