[LMB] replicator births

iyap at toad.net iyap at toad.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:11:20 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Bart Kemper <bkemper at bigdogz.com> re uterine replicators:
> Granted, there are many advantages about such devices, but my wife
> weights in *against* them, at least for herself.  She really enjoyed
> being pregnant (all things considered) and especially enjoyed the
> bonding she had during the pregnancy.

Well, it's all about choice, isn't it?  Even on Beta Colony where replicator
births are the norm, some people choose body births - including Cordelia's
sister-in-law.  Heck, even Cordelia chose a body birth.  If she had really
wanted to use a uterine replicator, I'm sure she would have done so.

> I wonder how the sentiment has evolved on Barrayar about this issue.  I
> can see female traditionalist insisting this is the best way, some
> "reformist" (is there such, really?) being firm replicator advocates,
> and a lot of people unsure about them.

I can imagine a scenario where it becomes a status symbol to have a body
birth.  A replicator birth becoming something only the proles do because the
mothers have to work full-time, and can't afford to lose time to morning-
sickness, medical appointments, the birth itself, etc.  Whereas rich Vor
matrons just get together for tea and crackers and swap nausea stories.

Ivy Yap
iyap at toad.net

This mail sent via toadmail.com, web e-mail @ ToadNet - want to go fast?
http://www.toadmail.com