[LMB] Yiss

Nancy L. Barber nlbarber at mac.com
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:06:42 -0400

At 10:02 AM -0700 7/8/02, POUNCER wrote:
>Or, returning to _CoC_ -- how highly places
>is a Castillar?  I mean, it seems to me Palli
>(March) out-ranked Caz on the social/titular scale
>even as Caz ranked Palli on the military
>side.  But I don't know that for sure.

I've had that impression, too.  I'm assuming (based
on my impressions, not on rigorous analysis) that
castillar is similar to castellan, and roughly means
"one who holds a castle" (one fortified structure
and surrounding lands). I see a march as holding
multiple such castles/lands, but less than a
provincar.

I'm assuming a hierarchy of holdings: castillars
would owe some equivalent of feudal duties to
a march, and marchs to provincars, and provincars
to the roya or royina.  I don't remember any
textevd either way as to whether a march might
hold lands directly from the roya, etc.

    Nancy Barber