[LMB] The LMB list is not a newsgroup, darnit

Shalom Septimus druggist at pobox.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:13:35 -0400

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 04:28:33 -0400, "Michael Bauminger"
<mikebomb at myrealbox.com> wrote:

>Your posts to the LMB list come through in a format that my email
>client (MS Outlook Express) recognizes as a newsgroup post, rather
>than an email message.[1]

>[1] Probably becuase you are posting to the list via an NNTP server,
>and why the heck are you doing that, anyway?

They probably have a mail-to-news gateway set up. I know of at least two
mailing lists that are also available as newsgroups: the Telecom Digest,
certainly one of the oldest mailing lists in continuous operation, is
echoed via Usenet as comp.dcom.telecom, and I used to get the railroad
list as bit.listserv.railroad (are there any Bitnet nodes still active?
I think sunyab went offline a couple years back).

The advantage to this, if you're on a slow connection, is that you don't
have to d/l the entire list and filter out what you don't want, but can
d/l the headers only and pick and choose which individual messages to
get thereafter.

There's probably a header somewhere in the top of the post that says
"Newsgroups:" and Lookout Express is assuming that it's in fact a news
posting. I don't know how to change that, but it's a miracle that
threading on this list works as well as it does, given the insane
variety of mail-reading programs we all use.
--
Shalom