[LMB] Re: No Barrayaran fantasy in Miles books

Andrew Reinlieb Andrewr at oneimage.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:22:12 -0600

>I haven't quite worked it all out in my mind, but I have some suspicion
that some elements of "fantasy" are benefitial to
>developing a creative mind, perhaps even to fostering some degree of
lateral thinking and leaps of logic.  Certainly in
>fantasy can be couched not only difficult philosophical ideas, but also
concepts of physics and psychology, etc., which
>could act as a foundation to building complex theories and scientific
breakthroughs. There is also the idea that humanity
>has a basic psychological need for belief in (or at least recourse to) the
"supernatural."  Someone argued that the
>"firsters" (correct term?) would have been pre-disposed to a scientific
view and explanations, which seems likely, but then
>someone else argued that, nevertheless, superstitions (like the hex-warding
sign) had developed.  With this all in mind, I
>think it would not only be likely that Barrayar lore would have its
supernatural creatures and fantastical heroes, but that
>such tales would perhaps be benefitial to the culture.

>Portia, spouting off half-baked ideas

Who wants to bet that more than one Barrayaran fairytale include the
Ogre/Mutant/Princess's father demanding the hero terraform some absurd
quantity of land and include details of how he did it? Not to mention
wizards towers surrounded by nasty examples of native Barrayaran vegetation.

-Andrew R.