[LMB] Keyboard Technology OT:

Joanie Laurel shadow_rose at hotmail.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 23:29:38 -0700

><snipped & paraphrased> going to get a laptop rather than a desktop

I'm sure someone else has already said this onlist, but I too have a laptop
(Dell) serving as my primary desktop. External keyboard, external mouse, USB
hub, occasionally an external monitor (depending on demand in the rest of
the household) and a travelling cord and a stay-at-home cord that's plugged
into the wall so I won't have to go crawling behind the desk every time.

Dell's customer service is usually excellent. Unfortunate music and every 30
second evil hold messages, though. The keyboards on them do bust up. I've
heard other people saying that Dells are excellent for high-budget companies
that can afford to replace yearly, and IBM is the better choice for the
small user. Avoid Dell phone sales staff: in my experience with them, two
times out of three, they were rude, inconsiderate, pushy, and not fun to
deal with.

--JL, whose tasks for the weekend include removing everything worth saving
from said laptop, formatting, repartitioning, reinstalling the Windows OS
that came with it, plus arbirary flavour of Linux for experimental purposes.