[LMB] Why Lois got it right

Louann Miller lqmiller at iqcisp.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:08:18 -0500

At 08:52 PM 6/26/2002 -0700, Robert wrote:
>Michael D Brazier wrote:
> > I've never met anyone like Tien myself, but one thing about his character
> > has struck me: he doesn't seem to _know_ what he's doing to Ekaterin.
>
>Only inasmuch as he doesn't look outside of himself in general.  If he
>did notice what he was doing, he'd do it anyway and justify it as well.
>Obviously I have met people like this, I'm sure some of them still
>wonder about the "go away, don't call, don't ever come back unless you
>want want to meet the police or other direct action."

One of the ironies of Tien. He wants people to care about him, and needs it
in a fairly pitiable way. Recall how Ekaterin in Komarr was thinking that
he had no emotional resources at all besides her and Nikki, part of the
reason he clings so obsessively. And yet his own actions make it
next-to-impossible for anybody else  to care about him. It's like there's
an amount of Caring About Tien in the universe that cannot be exceeded, and
since he himself is using 100% of it for self-pity there's none left for
anyone else to have.

We've seen how a victim-of-a-Tien can be saved, in Ekaterin. There's a
faint foreshadowing of the same thing in the young Cordelia, if you think
about her carnivorous first lover. I wouldn't know where to start in
redeeming Tien himself, if he'd lived.

Louann