[LMB] Re: OT: Asaro/Bradley

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham a.abraham at mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 01:22:56 -0500

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 05:31  PM, Laura Gallagher wrote:

> know various of MZB's books show exploring women's roles from a dated
> point of view - Thendara House, fr'example, where Jaelle has the
> problem
> of the Earth-originating bureaucracy insisting on her nametag badge
> reading "Mrs. Peter Haldane".  From that time it may have made sense,
> from our point of view in 2003 it seems silly.  Hm, when was it
> published?  Ah, 1983

I was born in 1983.  My mother was married in 1975 and keeping her name
didn't seem to be a big deal, from what I can tell.  I seem to recall
that C.S. Forrester had his character Horatio Hornblower reflecting on
the newfangled hyphenated names in character, in 1815 or so.  Of
course, in that time period I can see why they were new, and why they
came about and were necessary, so maybe I'm just weirdly minded.  So
while I'm fully prepared to believe there was a lot of social pressure
on these things 40 years ago, I'm not quite sure how accurate the
portrayed problem was.

Andrew - who did write this whole post to fit the Hornblower comment in.