[LMB] OT: Languages

Stella Lindblom moahahaha at cwazy.co.uk
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:08:16 +0200 (CEST)

>>Stella Lindblom wrote:
>>>The word for table is 'bord' in both welsh, irish and the scandinavian
>>>langs. Anybody found more such examples?
>>
>>The word for gold is 'or' in French, and 'rr' in Gaelic.
>
> As Indo-European was the basis for all the languages mentioned, it isn't
> completely unlikely that many of them will have similar words for the same
> thing.

So true, so true. But a lot of words have changed and languages have
developed. I'd say 'table' is quite an old word, and I was fascinated by
it being the same. Norsemen left trails in the language on the brittish
isles, but mostly one has to know about them to see them, like window,
eavesdropping etc. The 'bord' thing was totally new - had never heard of
it before. Don't know if it was norse or irish or cymric to start with...
Still interested of new examples, though, if there are any.

Stella