[LMB] OT: non-coffee in a coffee shop (was Bribing Lois)

Kay Carrasco koolbeans at dfn.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:48:42 -0700

Marci DeLeon writes:

> My biggest problem is that Starbucks doesn't stir hot chocolate
well, so you have mild chocolate flavor at the top and sludge at the
bottom. <

    It's not really a matter of stirring; nearly all hot chocolates
will precipitate--that is, granuals, even quite fine ones, tend to
drift to the bottom of a container. This is more pronounced when using
powdered mixes, but even fully liquid syrups do it, too. Don't you
remember when you were a kid, mixing your own, and your chocolate milk
always leaving a ring in the bottom of the glass? <G> Nowadays, when I
fix hot chocolate, I just leave the spoon in the cup, stir frequently,
and hold the spoon aside to sip.

> If you're ever in Bellingham, Washington, go to a coffee shop called
The Black Drop.  They make their own cider, and their hot chocolate is
a) made with Ghiradelli chocolate and b) perfection in a glass. <

    <Kay is reduced to merely making whimpery, slobbering noises.....>
<hee>

Mary Brodd advises:

> If this is going to be part of Guido's regular diet, you or she
might do well to find a local group with whom you can place such an
order. <

    No food co-ops hereabouts that I know of. I would bet we'd be more
likely to find a supplier in Santa Fe, Taos or Albuquerque. Next trip.
(And I'm quite sure, from her rhapsodizing, that she'd *love* it to
become a regular part of her diet! <G>)

Michele contributes:

> [S]he'll probably need to fiddle around a bit to find the particular
concoction she likes.  Generally if you get "chai" at a coffehouse,
it's a chai latte sort of thing, with milk and sugar involved.  (Maybe
condensed milk?  I'm not sure.) <

    From what she describes, it's done in a latte style. The milk must
be steamed, as she says it's foamy at first. (She also reports that if
she doesn't finish it, she refigerates the leftovers and that it's
very good cold, too.) The one she liked best had a hazelnut flavoring
added in; that, I would suppose, she could imitate fairly well by
using one of the flavored Coffeemate liquids. But whatever we do,
first we have to locate the tea at a reasonable price. I should do
some online scouting.

Joan recommends:

> Do you have a Whole Foods market near you?  Or Bread and Circus
(another name for the Whole Foods chains...)? <

    Unfamiliar, on both names. Have either one of them a website, do
you know?

Raye explains:

> 'Chai' is a pretty broad term.  There are several different types
and blends; about the only thing they have in common is that it's a
milk tea made from Indian teas that's both spiced and sweetened. <

    Ack! I didn't realize that "chai" was a basic MOL generic term! I
thought it was a specific type or flavor. This could get....
complicated. I'm not a tea drinker myself, so I am on really
unfamiliar ground here.

Iestyn helps:

>  Various types are available in supermarkets in Australia. Japanese
and chinese grocery stores are another option. <

     No specialty grocery stores here, other than the Mexican
bakeries. We do, however, have several Chinese restaurants, so a
scouting expedition there might turn something up. Hmmmmm.

    Wow, *thanks*, everybody, for all the guideance and suggestions!
Figuring out a way for Guidz to make her own special tea-treat would
make for a great mid-semester perk-up. I'll see what I can do.

~ Kay