[LMB] biological wealth

Marna Nightingale marna at redmaplegrove.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:39:40 -0500

Re: adoption wounds.  I think that adoptions probably very often ARE
traumatic. I don't necessarily think that they have to be, but rather
that they were/are often not handled sanely.

We are still somewhat inclined to disbelive in the notion that infants
can be emotionally distressed, so we don't necessarily do much to
alleviate it.  This doesn't mean it can't be done.

(General outcomes are another matter; adopted or not, we are all
required to pick our parents at an age when our judgement is more than
a little impaired, and some of us get luckier than others. As by and
large one of the lucky ones, I'm not presuming to comment beyond
that.)

Sort of like those studies which 'prove' that divorce harms children
but then never goes on to ask "what SORTS of divorces harm children,
and what sorts are better, and compared to which sorts of marriages?"
This in a culture which for no reason I can really figure out
positively REWARDS parental nastiness in divorce.

Someday somebody will do such a study, it will show that whacko
parents are whacko parents and sane parents are sane parents and how
many houses they have between them is a relatively minor issue, and
those of us who grew up in the divorce-prone era will read the study,
look around at how our various friends turned out and say "I could
have told you THAT at Poughkeepsie".

 I think that Aral means something even more general than family ties.
I think he means living breathing creatures, especially but not only
humans.

One of the themes that comes up again in the books is how Miles and
Aral feel about the soldiers who serve under them, and how they feel
about the members of their District.  Also wealth, and the greatest
crime to each of them seems to be wasting it.

Marna.
--
Marna Nightingale
marna at redmaplegrove.org
~~~~~
"There's such a thing as discussions I'm done with. I like an open
mind, but I also like getting on with my life." ~~ Meredith