[LMB] OT: Revisiting earlier audio & video over LAN discussion

Robert Parks rparks at lvhot.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:01:42 -0800

Mandos wrote:
> One thing to look at if you are going to plan for the future is
> to buy drives in blocks of four with a raid card. There is
> nothing worse than upgrading slowly drive by drive as once you
> start buying additional IDE controllers for the drives Raid
> tends to come as standard on most of them and it is a bugger
> when you could use RAID for better performance but you are
> inhibited by the varied nature of your drives.

So you carefully buy the same brand and size of drive, one by one,
because of the ka-ching! factor, and when you go to buy #4, ooops,
  we don't make that one anymore.

Current local best price is $200US for 200G...leading to the urge
to buy 4...and then you might as well get a fifth for a spare and
have the bragging rights of "yeah, I just went and bought a
terabyte of storage!"

Hmmm....my favorite local computer store now has serial ATA drives
on the shelf...at a ~50% premium over IDE drives.

Robert
wandering off into geekitude.