[LMB] RE: Greetings to Luka and Susan

Susan Profit tinne at eskimo.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:37:01 -0800 (PST)

Greetings and welcome to the newcomers. Have a nice virtual glass of
wine or coffee and a slice of custard cake with cherry glaze.

Luka, you may find that it depends on how the copy of FF was lost may
determine the gravity of the offense. If it was loaned to a potential
new Bujold reader and never returned, that may count as a convert in
the wings and be a very positive thing. ;)

Susan, you will find there are several of us on the list with the name
Susan, but here's to your joining in discussions to come.

Susan in Seattle

Cream Cake with Cherries
Glaze:
1 cup/226g tart or black cherry preserves - to your taste
1/2 cup/113g of sugar			1 Tbsp/14g water
Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes, pour into an 8 inch/20cm
cake pan. Carefully coat the entire pan with the glaze. Refrigerate until
set.

Cake:
8 or 9 1/2 inch/1.3cm slices of pound cake
3 cups milk/680ml - 1 cup/226ml may be heavy cream
6 eggs					1/2 cup/113g cherry preserves
1 cup/226ml whipping cream

Scald milk, in a second bowl beat  eggs and sugar until it is canary
or lemon yellow. Slowly stir in scalded milk, stir quickly if you don't
want scrambled eggs.

Position half of your cake slices in the cherry glazed pan. our half
of the egg/milk mixture atop it, then wait for five minute for the
liquid to soak in. Layer on the rest of the cake slices and pour in
the rest of the egg/milk mixture.

Place in a pan with water in it, then steam the custard in the oven
for 50 minutes at 350F/177C. When a knife inserted in comes out clean,
remove from heat and chill for 3-6 hours. Unmold on a plate and be
ready for some liquid to drizzle down the sides of the cake/custard.

Whip whipping cream, then garnish the cake with remaining cherries and
whipped cream. Slice and serve.

When I make this for myself, I replace all the milk/cream with yogurt
and it is incredibly yummy without triggering migraines.

@}->- Profitne Zsuzsa -<-{@