[LMB] Jump pilots (was Nikki, Gregor, and Inheritances

Dan Tilque dtilque at nwlink.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 00:11:05 -0800

RosinaRowantree at aol.com performed an arpeggio on a keyboard and
produced:

> Dan Tilque reminded us of other jump pilots than Arde and the
> Oserian "Corbeau in DI and and Ti in FF."

I found another jump pilot in the canon: Ferrell in "Aftermaths"
(more or less the epilog of Shards). He's Escobaran, freshly out
of jump pilot school, but on an assignment that does not involve
jumps. So he's not too happy about things.

>I think this
> (well, Corbeau) supports my argument - jump pilots are not
> command track, and not very highly regarded - probably not a
> suitable job for a Vor.

The attitude towards jump pilots is that there's something a bit
strange about them. Textev, TWA p 58:

"All jump pilots are crazy," muttered the security woman. "Comes
from getting their brains pierced."

Still they are officers when in the military, which is a fairly
high status right there. High Vor might consider it beneath
themselves, but probably not low Vor such as Nikki.

--
Dan Tilque