[LMB] OT: Cypriots and Cyprians

James and Mary Burbidge jamesandmary.burbidge at sympatico.ca
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:19:11 -0500

Susan Profit wrote:

> Hmm. My understanding was that Cyprian was used by poets and other
> 19th century English speaking writers to refer to the ancient
> residents of the island of Cyprus and that Cypriot was used by modern
> historians and diplomats to refer to recent residents of the island
> engaged in a bit of, er, discussion about the governance of it.
>
> Cyprian was also used as a nickname for Artemis by poets of the
> Romantic movement as a center of her worship had in ancient times been
> on the island.

Aphrodite.

Interestingly, this seems to be a relatively recent form; the Greek
title for Artemis which corresponds is "Kypris", with roots either of
the form "Kyprid-" or "Kyprin-" (the name for the island is "Kypros"),
and there seems to be no Latin "Cyprianus" in the classical period
corresponding to the noun "Cyprus", although the form is used as a name
in the postclassical period (there is a St. Cyprian, for example).

James Burbidge			jamesandmary.burbidge at sympatico.ca