[LMB] RE: Keypunch Questionnaire was [computer] Religion OT:

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:55:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Timothy Neumann wrote:
> How many of you have ever keypunched in your life?

Yup. High school and early university.

> Okay, how many of you have ever Programmed a keypunch?

Yup. Had lots of fun in high school -- keypunches were the most easily
available machines, when all you had otherwise was a remote card reader --
which was better than the previous once or twice-daily run by someone to
the university card reader.

You can do really cool things with control cards, including eating lotsa
other cards and confusing the non-initiated badly.

I remember having fun learning how to do lower-case characters.

Forgotten how actually to do this now.

> And finally, how many of you have randomized a punched deck?  [aka
> "dropped"]

I dropped an entire box once.

That's why if you had a large deck you always labelled the top with a
marker or a pen (at least an X, or a word -- so that it was easier to
figure out the order afterwards).

(Before I date myself too badly at this point, maybe I should point out
I started university at age 16?)

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca / alayne at ncf.ca

"Politics is not something you can stand off and look at as though it were a television program
or a painting on a wall and decide you really don't much care for it. This is the warp
and woof of your life: [...] you name it, what doesn't government touch or set rules for (or
set no rules for)?" -- Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose, _Bushwacked_