[LMB] OT: Speaking of Archaic Geekitude

Andrew Lambdin-Abraham a.abraham at mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 20:46:15 -0600

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 08:27  PM, Kay Carrasco wrote:

>    Is anyone here familiar with an Adobe product called PageMail
> (or something very similar)?

Adobe Pagemill.
http://www.adobe.com/products/pagemill/main.html

It has been replaced by GoLive!, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with
website management tools to recommend if it is worth upgrading,
switching to Macromedia, etc.

>  My boss has asked me to learn this
> program so that I can take over maintaining the office's website.
> He warns me that it's an awful thing, very counter-intuitive and
> a bear to work with.... but our page is pretty extensive, with
> multitudes of links, and starting from scratch with something
> easier to use might actually be more trouble than continuing to
> wrestle with a difficult one.

To be honest, it might be worth finding a web designer and letting them
to some basic design work.  I presume it's the program he's describing
as awful, counter-intuitive, etc, because if it's the site itself,
that's kinda bad.  Still, the following some principles of good design
are always good, and you may well be better off improving your
consistency (at least in organizing things, naming conventions, and
stuff like that, if not a new page management program)

Andrew