[LMB] Re: SP: Divinity

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:37:44 EST

In a message dated 11/7/2003 7:13:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lois-bujold-request at lists.herald.co.uk writes:

.

Mary wrote:
>They ought to have some excuse for their behavior, if they really care
>about human souls the way the Father described.

Can't cite chapter & verse, but I do recall something about the gods not
really getting the difference between royina and chambermaid. So would the
gods also not get the subtlety between person-inclined-to-hysterics &
melancholy, and a potential great-souled saint?

I could see the Mother as a potter, molding Ista as if clay on the wheel --
"Yes, getting bigger, wider, almost wide enough -- a little more pressure
*here* -- oh, drats. Warped another one." And, having other things to attend
to, the Mother wires her off the wheel, and sets her aside to dry in place,
overlooked, until the Dratsab takes up the warped vessel with delight, it
being the exact shape He was looking for.

--JL

M replies:
"They sneer at me for leaning all awry; What! did the Hand then of the Potter
shake?"
Now that the too-appropriate Khayyam quote is out of the way, what's to say
that a person inclined to hysteria and melancholy can't also be great-souled?
Some of the Christian saints seem to me to have been both.  Also--what
produces a great soul?  Nature, or severe testing, or both?  And it appears that what
one god considers great-souled isn't necessarily what another one does.  I
like that idea--it's a lot less limiting.
Question--I wonder how much LMB's theology has been influenced by her
father's expertise in nondestructive testing? <g>  BTW, Lois, I've read (and
translated for non-technical-minded lawyers) parts of your father's textbook.  I even
have a copy, somewhere in the many, many cardboard boxes that all look the
same.  My husband used it when he was working on writing the standards for tire
testing, and later as a reference.
Mary

.
PS:  Snakes could only belong to Autumn in a pretty mild climate--M.