[LMB] Re: Ekaterin

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:38:44 EST

Corinna writes:
Ekaterin. She puzzles me. As much as I'd like to 'feel' her like the rest
of the characters, she doesn't come alive for me.
M replies:

She didn't for me either, until I became good friends with a woman who had
been in the kind of marriage E had with Tien.  After that, I could see E's
reactions as more real.  Apparently psychological abuse must leave recognizable
scars in some people, but I didn't actually recognize the type until I saw it in
a real person whom I was aware had been treated that way.  This makes me feel
like I'm a little naive (at 66 that's hard to do) or not very perceptive.  Or
possibly, and hopefully, Tiens are just fairly rare.

Mary