[LMB] OT Jane Eyre

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:12:33 -0800 (PST)

Hmm, lots of opinions!

Me, I have a 'take it or leave it' attitude to Jane
Eyre.

Yes, it's a Mary Sue, and if you've read any of the
biographies of Charlotte Bronte you'll notice the
discomfiting parallels between her first job and the
book (well, discomfiting to *me*, at any rate).  I
always got the feeling that the ending was what she
wished could have happened in Real Life.

However, I feel that something that a lot of people
who don't like the end miss something, and that is -
she's in love with him.  It doesn't matter that he's a
cad who's a spoilt brat who exudes SEXXAY (he has to,
because he sure isn't good looking!).  She doesn't
stop thinking about him.  She has to run away from him
because she doesn't have the strength to *walk*.  She
sketches him, meditates on him, and even after she's
left him and has no intentions of ever going near him
again she still thinks about his reactions when
considering courses of action.  No, loving him isn't
sensible, but she does.

And I definitely don't get the idea that she was weak
at the end, or he was enabled to pick her - I feel
that the end clears her conscience so she can pick
*him*.

Raye

=====
raye_j at yahoo.com
livejournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/windtear
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

"What... *are* you?"
"I'm complicated."
 -- Goon#6 and Dorian Grey, 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'