[LMB] OT: Romance cover art and fonts

mamandel at filker.org mamandel at filker.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:18:51 -0500 (EST)

Pouncer writes:

> MiniPouncer, now 5 ( LORD! ... I sent email from China went I adopted
> her there -- time flies!)  got a Mattel toy catalog with all the latest
> "Barbie"  (tm)
> frou-froux.  The cover was homage to some Jude Devereaux cover ...
> Barbie in windswept gown, Ken in open white shirt, his "beard"
> apparrently painted  on.

I read Pouncer's post to my wife Rene, who collects and dresses dolls.
(You can see her Iselle and Betriz costumes at
http://world.std.com/~mam/dolls/dolls-March-2003.html.) She said,
approximately:

"The Jude Devereaux Barbie and Ken are among the 'collector Barbies',
meant for adult collectors, more expensive and better made than those for
children.

"I personally find the connection both bizarre and appropriate, having
read one J.D. novel and thought, 'Why the heck do they do this on stone
benches when they could just go to bed?' I seem to lack the soul for these
adventures... not to mention the skin"

-- Mark A. Mandel