[LMB] OT: Jane Eyre

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:38:49 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Marna Nightingale wrote:

> You know, age of reader may also be a factor here.  Possibly in
> the wrong way.  When I first read Jane Eyre, I was, um, 11.
>
> I didn't reread it again until I was in my late 20s.  All those
> years I thought it was about orphanage conditions and the
> exploitation of female servants.
>
> I know, that sounds like I'm making a funny, but I'm not.

I know you're not.  I was a teenager when I read it and came away
with much the same expression--that it was a very bleak book, not
romantic at all.  Of course, by then I was used to the idea that
other girls and women thought all sorts of behavior that seemed
disrespectful and demeaning to me was 'romantic'.

You know, all that 'he does that 'cause he likes you' stuff?

> What stuck in my head for all those years was the orphanage and
> a strong sense of Jane's working life being incredibly bleak
> and in some nebulous way frightening, especially since her boss
> wouldn't leave her alone.  I'm still not sure I agree that it's
> a romance, therefore.

I'm really glad you said this.  I was wondering if ANYONE had
read the same book I did.

I couldn't believe she married him.

~malfoy