[LMB] Re: Social customs vs natural law

James W. Reynolds jwreynold at earthlink.net
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:51:15 -0500

> One of Samuel Delaney's earlier novels - I can't for the life of me
> remember
> its name - had a generation ship in which the watch for harmful
> mutations
> turned into a narrower and narrower definition of non-mutant, until
> they
> wiped out all variation. The narrator had stopped to rescue whoever
> was left
> aboard. I totally forgot whether there was one (or a tiny handful) of
> utterly degenerate people left, or whether the ship was totally dead
> at that
> point.

	Hi.  I remember part of the title, "The Ballad of (hmmm) Beta-9 (?)".
Sounds right.

	The story is of the downfall of the ship's Captain at the hands of a
prejudiced society (association).  The test that she fails is of not
knowing the correct responses to their ritual questions, which any real
human would know.  So she is executed as a mutant.  Geh.

	Jim Reynolds