[LMB] Ekaterin - real or construct?

Debbie lioness at bellsouth.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:38:35 -0600

>That's the problem that's niggling me - as presented, she didn't have any
>way to keep Nikki from being taken away from her.

Under Barrayan law she doesn't.  All she can do is appeal to her local
Count, who will either be a grateful Rene Vorbretton or his
pissed-off-at-the-other-team cousin Sigurd, as she and Miles discuss in the
attic scene.  After that she could appeal directly to the Emperor, which in
effect is what she lets Nikki do, cutting out all the middlemen.  Very
efficient, that.

>IOW, if she was attracted to Miles because he was good at making his
>earlier girlfriends competent people who can take care of their own
>problems without a man doing it for them, um, that scene sorta indicates
>she really should have asked for her money back or complained to the
>Better Heroes Bureau, rather than marrying him.
>
>Karen

Good grief, she's only known him two months and they haven't even
dated!  How much effect is he *supposed* to have had on her by then?  It's
quite clear two years later that the mojo has taken effect, when she stands
up to the enraged Cetagandens and earns Aral's, Cordelia's and Gregor's
respect.  (And certainly other people respect too, including Miles,
although he's too debilitated to notice much at the time.)

Debbie
http://www.brigidsforge.com
Original sterling Gothic and Pagan jewelry

"Fascism should more properly be called 'corporatism,' since it is the
marriage of government and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini