[LMB] OT: Listie checking in from Prague

Jo'Asia joasia at fandom.art.pl
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:58:18 +0100

My comconsole brought me this letter from Danielle N. Hart:

DNH>  Part of it appears to be that there aren't many Russian names
DNH> that begin with the H/kh sound.  Usually, they replace it with a G -
DNH> which would make her G*n*r H*rr*ngt*on,

"Garrington" even. AFAIK it's "*G*arry Potter" in Russian...

DNH>  and would be an entertaining
DNH> play on words in English.... The Russian word for honor, "chest'" is
DNH> an abstract noun, not a name - the whole virtue name (Patience,
DNH> Faith, etc) isn't very big without some sort of suffix.

Well, not. Faith, Hope and Love are common Russian *female* names
(forgive me for not including the transliteration). The good thing is that
"chest'" is a female-gender noun, which removes one difficulty. But probably
the translator simply didn't like the idea of non-standard name for Honor.

DNH> They have a similar thing in the Russian editions of LMB,
DNH> where "Vorkosigan" becomes "Forkosigan".  So Galeni's angry play on
DNH> words in Memory doesn't work so well.

I can imagine the scene working quite all right. "So it's true that 'For'
cames from 'wor'!" or something like that.

DNH> No Pratchett spotted in Russian translation, although JRR
DNH> Tolkien seems fairly popular.

AFAIK there are several Tolkien Russian translations.

Jo'Asia

--
  __.-=-.          joasia at fandom.art.pl         Joanna Slupek        .-=-.__
   --<()>     http://bujold.fantastyka.net/   http://esensja.pl/     <()>--