[LMB] Re: OT: Cars. etc.

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:10:07 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Alexandra Haropulos wrote:

> Azalais Malfoy wrote:
>
> > It's because of my suburban childhood that I wouldn't move to the
> > suburbs with or without a kid, even at gunpoint.
>
> And my husband, who grew up in the city, wouldn't move back at
> gunpoint. Even after 30-odd years living in the suburbs he
> still exclaims at the beauty of the quiet, the trees and the
> wildlife. My father (God rest him) was the same way. I don't
> believe I've ever known anyone as interested in nature and
> natural history.

This does not sound like the suburbs with which I am familiar.
God help any nature or wildlife that managed to wander into such
a place.  Or any spot of ground not covered with pavement, a
garden, or grass (that last of which to which I'm allergic).

In some of the worst California suburbs, the houses have to all
look alike!  I got lost many times during the week the mad ex and
I lived in his parents' house while looking for the apartment in
San Francisco.  It took me several days to learn to tell the
houses apart.  I am a girl who learned her way around Ikebukuro
(a district of Tokyo) in a couple of days, mind you.

> I suppose the city is okay if you can live in the East
> Eighties, or something like that.

Nah, I live in the Mission district.  It's not Hunter's Point
(which looks like a scary rap video), but it's not Nob Hill or
Russian Hill, either.  I've been pickpocketed on the 14 Mission
bus line, so I avoid that one.

But I have three other major bus lines, a train line, a BART
station, and a UCSF shuttle stop (I work at UCSF) within four
blocks of my apartment.  I take cabs back from the grocery store
when I have too much stuff to carry on the bus or train, or don't
get up in time to catch the shuttle to work.  There's a park a
block away (unfortunately it's the one that all the @#$@#%$
anti-war protests leave from, waking me up way too early on
weekend mornings ever since 9/11) and Japantown and Chinatown are
really close by.

(I will NEVER again live in a place without a large Asian
enclave.  I use Japanese-old-lady-shampoo with camellia oil in
it, which enables me to grow my hair some 6" longer than
anything else has.  Among other things.)

> Now I, having grown up in suburbia, would love to live in
> the remote country. The grass is always greener...

Not for me.

I could be happy living in the remote country only if I had
someone that I paid to drive me around, someone to clean my house
(I don't want anything bigger than a 2-bedroom apartment if I'm
cleaning it, thanks), someone to do the yard work (I'm allergic
to grass), etc.

~malfoy