[LMB] OT: Cars. etc.

MegJ megj at nwlink.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:44:42 -0800

Azalais:
> This does not sound like the suburbs with which I am familiar.

There are suburbs and there are suburbs.  I grew up in Orange County, just
south of Los Angeles (almost spelled that Lost Angeles <g>), and the houses
were made from cookie cutters, so far as I could tell, and the only way you
could tell you'd crossed from one city jurisdiction to the next was the
signs.  Concrete everywhere and nothing grew that wasn't deliberately
planted.  Sometimes not even then.

I live in suburbia now, too, though in the Pacific Northwest, and it's a
whole different world.  I have raccoons and deer in my backyard (the cats
raise a ruckus over both, so I see them often), along with lots of other
smaller critters.  Lots of trees, too, and dense undergrowth.  In spite of
the fact that my yard is the size of a postage stamp, I can't see my
neighbors through the green.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in S. Ca. again, but the suburbs here are
just fine <g>.

Megaera
who has shopping within a 10 minute walk, but has to drive to work