[LMB] Re: OT: Cars. etc.

House of Unruly Fish carosue at centurytel.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:43:25 -0700

Hi Scott, and all!

>IMAO, modern America is nearly incapable of designing new living areas
>that do NOT require a car!

I can chime in with another one.  Denver's airport used to be
Stapleton.  It was started as a wartime air base, and was just down the
road (literally) from Fitzsimmon's, a noted military hospital.  That's
where they took President Eisenhower when he had his heart attack.

Anyway, the city grew around it until it was both a noise hazard and not
too safe.  So they built DIA, way out in the boonies.  But instead of
piecing out the land Stapleton stood on, it has been turned into a planned
community that discourages auto traffic.  There are sidewalks and bike
paths galore, schools and office buildings and businesses and homes of all
types, and a nature preserve.  It's really quite neat, and if I won the
lotto, I would buy a condo there just to have a place to crash when I came
up to Denver.  In my plane, which I would also buy and learn to fly.

Susan the Neon Nurse