[LMB] SP: New PoS question

James Burbidge jamesandmary.burbidge at sympatico.ca
30 Oct 2003 20:06:37 -0500

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 13:20, Dan Tilque wrote:

[SNIP]

> However, that wasn't my interpretation of Ista's seeing the crack
> in the curse. I got the impression that Ista was just deluding
> herself about the crack. It was just a matter of wishful thinking
> on her part. But that may just be me. The more a character
> insists on the truth of certain facts without corroborating
> evidence, the more I question the assertion. And Ista was very
> insistent.

I agree.  This is reinforced by the fact that _Cazaril's_ experience
suggests that lifting the curse was an all-or-nothing thing -- the first
two deaths were effectively just preparation.  It's at the third death
that the Daughter is enabled to come in and take back the curse.  (Also
note that Cazaril's sense of _why_ three deaths were allowed may also
suggest that dy Lutez was not undertaking the tasks with the right
attitude to get results in any case.  The model Ista presumes is almost
mechanical, and that doesn't seem to be how the gods work.