[LMB] List Biz - Uncodified Traditions (Duty to Warn?)

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:50:30 EST

Nancy Barber writes:
I'm willing to be swayed in my position, so speak up (here
or to me privately) if you feel such a FAQ should be
developed.  If I decide to write one, I'll ask for candidates
for the list of forbidden topics later.

M:

No, I think you're right.  It's even a legal principle (or at least it used
to be, I'm not exactly current on products liability law) that if you warn
against particular product hazards, it makes you liable for people who do
something _else_ dangerous with the product and are hurt as a result, even though what
they did would have been obviously dangerous even to a child.  For example, I
recall one expert witness saying that he really wouldn't have thought it
would be necessary to warn against resting the business end of a power mower on
your knee to free your hand to open a door while the mower was running--

Mary