tea and asthma Re: [LMB] culture shock, OT:

Cat Meier fairestcat at techemail.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Cat Meier <fairestcat at techemail.com> wrote:
responding to my own post because it sent me off on a tangent.  I responded to Azalais post about an early Tea-based caffeine addiction with my own about my early Coffee-based caffeine addiction and ended with:
>Of course, Caffeine has the added benefit for me of being one of >nature's asthma drugs, so I've never really been interested in giving >it up for good.

I was inspired to go look up some details, because I realized my memory of the exact reasons for this was spotty and should one of the more erudite-listees ask me to clarify or question this, I didn't have the info right on top of my brain.

Theophylline is a major asthma-med because it relaxes the muscles in the airways.  Its also a naturally-occuring ingredient in tea.  Caffeine is related to theophylline, and has some of the same properties, although its not quite as effective.  Chocolate is another relation.

I mentioned my strange metablism before?  One of the reasons I've never been a big tea drinker is that while I have no side effects to caffeine at all, theophylline makes me incredibly jittery.  I've been hospitalized on high doses of it a couple times, and my chief memory of those times is of lying in bed with my whole body, inside and out, feeling like it was shaking.  Its not fun.  Being an asthmatic with a heightened reaction to one of the big treatments is a definite trip.

But I have been known, when I have mild asthma symptoms and don't have my inhaler handy, or have already taken the inhaler and have lingering issues, to have some tea and stick my head between my knees.

Cat, aka, asthma-grrl