[LMB] Re: Jewish Jews...? thoroughly OT:

Mark A. Mandel athyra2004 at yahoo.com
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 19:00:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- Tom Vinson <Tom_Vinson at mpsisys.com> wrote:
> >Mark Mandel wrote:
> >English has no pejorative verb "to christian" or
"to muslim".

> See the series of mystery stories by Kinky
> Friedman.* Several times someone attempts to
overcharge him, and he proceeds to "christian them
down".

Unless you have cites from other sources, I can't take
that as anything but a deliberate inversion of the
insulting verb "jew [someone] down". It's not part of
the language, and its use there derives its force from
this reversal.

OED OnLine has "christian (v.)" only as "Obs. rare.
    To make Christian, to christen; chiefly in past
participle, participial adjective", i.e.,
"christianed" as a participle or adjective.

Google has hits for "christianed", but they seem to be
forms of "Christian Ed", either "education" or a
person's name. "Christianing" likewise seems to mean,
or be an error for, "christening". There are too many
for me to check them all.

=====
-- Mark A. Mandel