[LMB] Re: Just a bit of on-topic musings...

CatMtn at aol.com CatMtn at aol.com
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:32:10 EDT

Dan Tilque writes:

CatMtn at aol.com wrote:

> Just some further musings on the  subject in general:  When
> communications are as slow as  interstellar distances would
> make them (weeks, at   least),

Dan:

Communications aren't that slow. At least not if you use  the
jumpship-beam system. <snip>
Not that this changes your thesis.  It still isn't fast enough for
HQ on another planet to be involved in  immediate decision making.

M:

There were more than thirty years between those two events (the massacre  and
Miles' 30th birthday), probably more like 35 or 40.  Technology might  have
improved at least as much as it has here in that many years.  But I  agree that
even at that speed (a day in one-way transit) it's still not  like you could
call up and ask at a critical moment.

Mary