[LMB] Holy Beta Colony Batman!!!

Louann Miller lqmiller at ev1.net
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 16:59:42 -0500

At 12:07 AM 8/1/2004 -0400, M. Traber wrote:
>>In other words, if one is an attentive and proactive
>>parent, I think it will be very hard for the State to
>>prescribe kids into a state of mundanity.
>>
>>But then, I'm getting the distinct impression that the
>>sort of kids the State is trying to 'save' here are
>>the ones who the State has to 'parent' anyway.

>I wouldn't be to blasted certain about that, state agencies are pretty
>freaking hot to take kids away in america today=\

Jerrie at least will know the proverb "hard cases make bad law." As far as
I can see family law is made up of nothing BUT hard cases. Loosen the rules
a bit, and you get cases like the local one where a toddler strangled on a
blind cord (ruled accidental) in a house full of diapers and kitty poo.
Tighten them a bit, and perfectly good parents who are simply messy get in
trouble. Split the difference ... and somehow you get both unintended
consequences at once.  Something wrong, there.

Child Protective Services -- any time, any place, any rules you like to
name -- by their nature can only ever get bad publicity. If there's a
healthy kid in a safe home, they're the bad guys because how dare they
investigate in the first place? If there's a kid hurt in an unsafe home,
then why didn't they remove him to foster care sooner? And if they remove
an unhurt kid from an unsafe home, they're wrong because how do they know
he was in danger when he hasn't been hurt?