[LMB] OT: Piracy, Evil Overbeings, etc.

James W. Reynolds jwreynold at earthlink.net
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:44:26 -0400

On Tuesday, August 3, 2004, at 08:30 PM, Andrew Barton wrote:

> At 10:49 08/03/2004 -0700, Dan Tilque wrote:
> <snip>
>> You would never have a captain and commander on the same ship.

	(Snip)
> I think Dan's right to say you wouldn't normally have a Post Captain
> and a
> Commander on the same ship in Napoleonic times.

	(Snip)

	ISTR a custom of giving other officers holding the rank of captain (
of Marines, forex) a "courtesy promotion" to Major while on board,
whether serving on in transit.

	Because There Is Only One Captain On A Ship, that's why.

	Is this custom still observed?  Would -OB Bujold- a Barrayarran
ground-captain be a ground-major on Aral's flagship?

	****  Jim Reynolds