[LMB] OT: Piracy, Evil Overbeings, etc.

Andrew Barton AndrewBarton at compuserve.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:48:06 -0400

At 21:44 08/03/2004 -0400, James W. Reynolds wrote:
(I think, the attributiosn have got tangled)
>         ISTR a custom of giving other officers holding the rank of
> captain ( of Marines, forex) a "courtesy promotion" to Major while on
> board, whether serving on in transit.

This is described in 'Starship Troopers' as a space Navy custom that the
Mobile Infantry think is rather silly.  I've never come across it in
anything historical.  Heinlein would presumably have known about this if it
was a USN custom, but he might just as well have Made It Up for his
fictional society.

Andrew