[LMB] Re: West Wing Questions, Was BCASS RAnks OT:

Nicholas Rosen ndrosen at erols.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:13:35 -0400

Ned Adams wrote:

> Here is a quick review of the equivalencies:

https://lnweb1.manpower.usmc.mil/CCLD/working/working_usmc_rank_equivalencie
s.htm

> Now, what does it mean practically?  Probably not a whole lot.  It
> appears to mostly have an administrative function.  I ran across a number
> of documents that had language that read "this directive applies to ranks
> O-6 and above _or their equivalent_", which is shorthand for O-6 - O-10,
> GS-15, SES, NF-6, etc...

The text under the table says, "The table is based on the military and
civilian relationships established for Geneva Convention purposes only."

All this is news to me.  I'm a GS-14, but I didn't think this made me
equivalent to a major, a lieutenant colonel, or for that matter a PFC,
and I'm sure that for most purposes, I'm not.  Different organizations,
doing different things; I examine patent applications while they hunt
Osama bin Laden.  All this might be more relevant for civil servants
working at the Pentagon, say, or for quasi-military agencies like the
Marshalls Service or the Central Intelligence Agency.

Maybe Bart Kemper -- hey, welcome back! -- would know more
about this.

Regards,
Nicholas Rosen