[LMB] OT GS Ranks

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:15:36 -0500

At 23:33 08/04/2004 -0500, Bart Kemper wrote:

>I understand the reasoning, but it doesn't wash.  *ANY* GS basically
>ourtranks the military unless there is a specific line of authority for
>that military person.  It's a paygrade, and to some degree a equiv. of
>responsibility on a very skewed scale.... but other than addressing the
>issue of "who to seat where in a formal gov't dinner", it doesn't wash.
>The GS's are in their own realm.  The military is in its own.  The GS's
>can typically poke into the military one and make people respond through a
>variety of means, but its damn hard to get a GS to do the same.  I hope
>this isn't coming off as snotty...just a statement of how it works, having
>grown up military, served active duty myself, am a Reservist now, was
>deployed last year, will be deployed (probably) next year....roughly
>30-something years of direct data in many, many places.

Actually, the table of equivalences makes GS-9 the lowest pay grade which
is an officer equivalent.  Below that are usually considered enlisted
equivalent.

If the GS is in a military organization, then he is subject to military
direction as regards his work.  I worked for 21 years for the USAF, for an
organization which essentially provided computer services of various kinds
for Langley AFB, and the USAF command headquartered there (TAC, later
ACC).  The organization changed name several times in those 21 years, but I
only had four jobs; first as a system programmer for support of
Intelligence, then as a supervisor maintaining software for a photo recon
system, again as a system programmer for a support computer used by several
other offices, and finally as a tester for an air combat control system and
for a data translation system for interfacing two dissimilar message
protocols.  In each of these jobs, USAF officers and civilian employees
were both placed in the Table of Organization, and (as I have indicated
previously) while I was a supervisor, I had two USAF airmen working for me;
I had to write their performance evaluations.  My own supervisors were both
military officers and higher ranking civilians at various times.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net