[LMB] OT: Malfoy on Pratchett, rated G I swear.

Azalais Malfoy tiamat at tsoft.com
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Louann Miller wrote:

> Malfoy: I forgot to ask this when you replied yesterday. Terry
> Pratchett -- love, hate, or haven't read?

Other than "Good Omens" which he did with Gaiman and which had me
laughing out loud (and by the way, the Device, Nutter and Chattox
families are real families from the Lancashire witch trials,
which is why those names appear in the works of AJ Hall and in
Lightningwar), I pick them up, wince at the bad pun on the cover,
flip through them, and put them back down, because there's always
something else I'd rather spend my money buying and my time
reading.

If he wrote more books with Gaiman I think I'd read those.
Gaiman balances out his Overly Silly streak and Pratchett
balances out Gaiman's occasional lapses into
near-incomprehensible mysticism  (in other words, if I'm having
trouble figuring out what mythic/mystical point he's making, I
can't think other people are doing much better).

The puns really turn me off.  Some of the books, I can't even get
past the titles.  It's a less strong version of my reaction to
Xanth.

I can't honestly say that I hate a writer when I've never read an
entire book of his, but there's something about it that is
Definitely Not To My Taste, which is annoying.  Because so many
of my friends *adore* Pratchett.

My favourite comedic writer is Lois, which I suppose says
something about me; her books aren't comedies, in that they
aren't contrived for the sake of The Funny (I don't care for
that), but there is almost always at least one incident in a Lois
book that has me in stitches.

Rowling does that to me too, but for different reasons, and
sometimes I think it's quite unintentional.  If you know what I
mean. ;)

~malfoy :)